I’m often asked about my white markings, my eyebrows, my “little legs,” and all kinds of things when I’m out and about so I thought I’d take this opportunity to answer the five most frequent questions I get asked. Here goes:
- “Isn’t is unusual to have all that white?” A. Yes. I often say that my peeps paid extra for all the white markings I carry around with me. Let’s see…there’s white on my back, white on my chest, white on my chin, white on my neck, white on my belly, and, now, I’m becoming more brindle every day. Especially around my eyes and around my butt. So I look like a Scottie you’ve never seen before and probably never will again. OH… and before I forget, just in case you’re new to Scottie-licious-ness, Scotties DO come in colors other than black: there’s black, black brindle, brindle, wheaten, silver brindle and red brindle. Yes. I said “red brindle.” Beautiful. Here’s a line about “white” from an old book called “Scottish Terrier”: “White markings are objectionable and can be allowed only on the chest and that to a slight extent only.” Guess I’m VERY objectionable, huh?
- “Poor little thing! Look how short his little legs are! Doesn’t he get tired easily?” A. No. My “little legs” suit me quite well actually. Don’t ever let a Scottie fool you. We’re powerful, fast and tenacious.
- “You have to cut his hair to look like that???” A. Yes. My handsome looks are due, in part, to my well-groomed face and head. If I didn’t have my Aunt Carol to bring out the character of my eyebrows, my beard and the rest of my irresistible self, I’d look like a stocky bear cub.
- “How old is he?” A. When I say, “I’m five” people are taken aback. And not just because I answered their question at all. See, they think my brindle-ness is old man gray hair. I guess they think I’m 15 or something. It’s not time for the Grecian Formula just yet my friends!
- “What Do You Call That Dog?” A. Well, my name is Stuart, but this question usually refers to my breed. People often confuse Scotties with Schnauzers. I don’t get it. Do you?
Hope this clears up a few things for new Scottie fans out there.
What You Learned Today:
- See above.
- Hey…if YOU have a question you’d like me to answer, hit me with it.
- I’ll do my best to pass on some good information. (Or entertaining information at the very least.)