I’m often asked about my white markings, my eyebrows, my “little legs,” and all kinds of things when I’m out and about so I thought I’d take this opportunity to answer the five most frequent questions I get asked. Here goes:
- “Isn’t is unusual to have all that white?” A. Yes. I often say that my peeps paid extra for all the white markings I carry around with me. Let’s see…there’s white on my back, white on my chest, white on my chin, white on my neck, white on my belly, and, now, I’m becoming more brindle every day. Especially around my eyes and around my butt. So I look like a Scottie you’ve never seen before and probably never will again. OH… and before I forget, just in case you’re new to Scottie-licious-ness, Scotties DO come in colors other than black: there’s black, black brindle, brindle, wheaten, silver brindle and red brindle. Yes. I said “red brindle.” Beautiful. Here’s a line about “white” from an old book called “Scottish Terrier”: “White markings are objectionable and can be allowed only on the chest and that to a slight extent only.” Guess I’m VERY objectionable, huh?
- “Poor little thing! Look how short his little legs are! Doesn’t he get tired easily?” A. No. My “little legs” suit me quite well actually. Don’t ever let a Scottie fool you. We’re powerful, fast and tenacious.
- “You have to cut his hair to look like that???” A. Yes. My handsome looks are due, in part, to my well-groomed face and head. If I didn’t have my Aunt Carol to bring out the character of my eyebrows, my beard and the rest of my irresistible self, I’d look like a stocky bear cub.
- “How old is he?” A. When I say, “I’m five” people are taken aback. And not just because I answered their question at all. See, they think my brindle-ness is old man gray hair. I guess they think I’m 15 or something. It’s not time for the Grecian Formula just yet my friends!
- “What Do You Call That Dog?” A. Well, my name is Stuart, but this question usually refers to my breed. People often confuse Scotties with Schnauzers. I don’t get it. Do you?
Hope this clears up a few things for new Scottie fans out there.
What You Learned Today:
- See above.
- Hey…if YOU have a question you’d like me to answer, hit me with it.
- I’ll do my best to pass on some good information. (Or entertaining information at the very least.)
People come up with the dumbest questions. She went into a food market (no dogs allowed-imagine that a food market and I’m not allowed and I’m a food connoisseur) and He walked Kenzie and me together in the parking lot. A woman asked Him if we were “calm dogs”. He said, “only when they’re not bouncing off the walls”.
Why would anybody ask Him that?? People are funny. (Not funny “ha ha” either.) Now go about your business of bouncing off the walls. Tee Hee.
My sister Shelby and I thinkl tht you are adorable. Shelby is a wheaten with a lot of red and I am a black brindle boy. We make a very handsome sister and brother duo. My mom said that she had a little girl that looked just like you in 1970. Her name was boots because of her white shoes.
OH! Thanks for sharing that story! Boots obviously had a LOT of character. Like moi.
Thanks for the compliments, Rooooo! Stuart
I think you are perfect Stuart. I do have some white on my chest, and some gray in my back. I am brindle also. I am 5 just like you, what do you know bout that?? hehe Snauzer?? what are peeps thinking?? BOL
I KNEW we had lots in common Miss Jazzi! I think there’s actually a cross-breed called a SchnauScott. Ya think?
I showed your column to Kenzie, the Westie. Of course, he thinks you’re not white enough. “What’s that black stuff doing around the white? Only noses and eyes are supposed to be white”. We wonder about Kenzie.
Actually Kenzie said “Only noses and eyes are supposed to be black”. Now I wonder about Kenzie AND my typist.
It’s the white stuff. It makes typists crazy. Give Mr. Kenzie a pat on his little white head. Do you think white dogs are like blondes????? Maybe that’s it. Uh oh. I think I may have offended some folks.
Some one asked us if we were ‘Scottish Spaniels’ the other day. We get a lot of those questions, too. But usually we just get told we’re beautiful.
XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella
Well, that’s because you ARE bee-you-ti-ful girls. Scottish Spaniels?
Let’s rejoice in educational moments.
same thing here I get many remarks – OH SCHNAUZER !!! from some people.
I like yr white marks , it is so special.
BIANCA ,JUNIOR ,BAMBAM,TESSA AND ZORRO.
Thanks for leaving Us a note you guys!
Stuart you are a beautiful Scottie – Our mom takes really good care of us. We love to go camping and chase squirrels, which is why our short powerful legs are so good. Take care “Aroo” Simon Henry (Black) & Gordan (Wheaten)
You’re so right about our “little legs” aren’t you? I think a bigger dog just might get all hung up in their legs chasing squirrels. Tee Hee!
I love your answers! My two often get asked very similar questions! I like your short little legs! They are cute, and get you around just fine!
My husband once had a co worker who asked if ours were ‘Scottie Scotties’ or ‘Scottie Schnauzers’!!
Thank you! What’s a SCOTTIE SCOTTIE????
I’m totaly out of my breed. My tail is to long, my ears to big, my legs are…I don’t remember, but they say I stand like a cow…. And for the last 6 month I don’t have the right haircut because my mom wants to do it herself :s
But I still think I’m handsome.
YOU ARE HANDSOME!!!! My tail is bent, I have white spots where I shouldn’t and I weigh too much. So! We’re in this together!
Thanks for stopping by…
question: How or at what age can you tell if a puppy will be a silver brindle. I am looking for a silver brindle (as opposed to a black brindle) I want more silver in my next pup & don’t want to be fooled by a breeder. Thanks….
First off, good breeders won’t even try to fool you my friend!!!! I’ll be back with more information to bark at you with. Stand by.