It’s Pretty Dismal

I forgot to tell y’all about this yesterday. This is an old picture of me in the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina. Just over the bridge. Up north toward Duck. (That’s a place.) Anyway, see all this fog? Well, that’s what it’s been like lately at my house.

No fog. Smoke. Yep. Lots of smoke. See, there’s a BIG fire a couple of hundred miles from Our house. But, We’re smelling and seeing the smoke. A place called The Great Dismal Swamp is burning. 6,000 acres of it in flames. It caught on fire back in early August from a lightening strike.

Isn’t that awful? The Dismal Swamp is a nature and wildlife preserve. Sad. Can you believe We smell it and see the smoke all the way where We live??? We’ve been smelling it off and on for a while, but yesterday it was pretty bad and We could see it, too.

What’s happening??? Earthquakes? Hurricanes? Fires?

I’m staying inside. I think. Wherever it’s safe.

• Sometimes you just have to let nature run her course.
  • It’s sad though.
  • Hope all the animals in The Dismal Swamp are OK.
  • Oh my.
  • Glad I don’t have any puppies. I’d be a ferocious puppy daddy. And I’d be worried about my kids out in nature with all her havoc.

Winston welcomes you to The Scottie Chronicles - a blog that began in 2009 as a voice for Stuart, a more than memorable black, brindle and white Scottish Terrier who captured hearts around the world. Stuart passed suddenly in December 2015 from cardiac hemangiosarcoma, a nasty cancer that took him far too early. If you love Scotties, please follow along. Arroooo!
This entry was posted in The Scottie Chronicles and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to It’s Pretty Dismal

1. Jazzi says:

yah stay inside and stay safe Stuart!!

wags
    Jazzi

Oh Stuart ~ With everything that is happening you are probably sitting on a sink hole. We have a big one in my community!
    We never heard The Dismal Swamp was on fire.
    Sweet William the Scot

Hopefully, Irene puts the fire out. With the luck you’ve been having, it will spread the fire. Hell must have frozen over and moved to your area.

4. rottrover says:

Stuart, that photograph is a stunner!! Hope you have it framed somewhere in your house. We didn’t know the swamp was on fire either… Hopefully Irene’s rain will help douse the flames.

Stay safe, buddy,

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

5. Susan Weinstein says:

Stay safe Stuart. My mom said that you should stay away from windows during the hurricane. She is a survivor of Frances, Jean, and Wilma so she should know. Sid andShelby

6. Georgie B says:

Be safe my friend…talk to God often and love your Peeps every day!!!

It will be over soon and the sun will shine on you and all will be good in your world…

Georgie B and the Gang

7. Abigail says:

This is stunning!!!

8. Ick for you Stuart. We live in California and there were some fires near us a couple of years ago. I got totally gray and stinky everything I walked outside. Mom was bummed … stink and soot everywhere. We feel your pain!

9. Pingback: Pretty As A Picture: Watercolor Wednesday « The Scottie Chronicles

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )