Friday’s Foto Fun – Interrupted

Ok. I know it’s Friday’s Foto Fun day, but after the earthquake the night before last, I just had to tell you this little story. And maybe I’ll throw a fun foto in at the end. Maybe not.

You might need to pop some corn. Go ahead. I’ll wait ’til you get back.

K. Now. I heard a little rumble in the distance late yesterday afternoon, see, so I high-tailed it to the top of the stairs leading down to the peeps’ offices. In the basement. Since I once fell down the steps, one peep came up to carry me down.

So there I was all nice and snuggly under Her desk. He was all into his white noise (Father Knows Best – yeah, the OLD television show) and She was all into “Oceans” (from Coldplay’s new release.) Since when is Father Knows Best considered white noise? Geez.

Anyroo, it started calmly enough. A little rain.

Then, all hell broke loose. He started yelling. The electricity went out. He yelled louder. The thunder boomed. I hopped out of my snoozy bucket and hunkered down next to Her feet. The thunder stopped. The rain came down in buckets. So did the ice-cube-sized hail. Buckets of hail. Blowing all over the place.

She picked me up and took me upstairs to look out the front door. There We were. The three stooges. Watching the hail wreck the flowers and plants. Watching the wind whip through the trees. And, through it all, the sun was shining.

Weee doggies. I couldn’t believe it.

Later We learned a tornado touched down about six miles away.

And We found this around the corner from Our house:

WOW. This tree just broke in two.

WOW. This tree just broke in two.

Watch out everybody. Stay away: water and electrical lines don't mix.

Watch out everybody. Stay away: water and electrical lines don’t mix.

Ice-cube-sized hail.

Ice-cube-sized hail.

So, here’s the take-away from this little story: Yeah, We lost lots of pretty flowers. And a new gazing ball was broken into a million pieces. And a tornado touched down. And Our electricity was off until daybreak this morning.

But We lived. And We weren’t hurt.

Around the world there are too many bad things that happen. People lose their lives. Pooches get separated from those they love. And worse. Houses burn down. Wild fires, droughts and floods take lives.

But We weren’t hurt.

I’m gonna ponder that over this holiday weekend. As my 8th Gotcha Day approaches.

I’ve got a lot to be thankful for. Including you.

Thank you Mother Nature, for reminding all of us how strong you are.

This entry was posted in The Scottie Chronicles and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Friday’s Foto Fun – Interrupted

1. Whewy!! What an adventure! Glad you had a safe place to be!

2. christina says:

Oh my goodness, how scary! Glad you and your peeps are safe!

3. Bella & Roxy says:

A tornado in VA? That’s scary.

4. bentley2 says:

Glad you and your peeps are ok. Very scary happening all around. Good think your Garden Tour was last weekend and not this weekend. Have a wonderful Holiday.
    Bentley

I agree with Bentley about being glad your Garden Tour was last weekend. It is sad to know that for all your hard work mother nature came and took some of it out.
    In Cincinnati lately seems like it is becoming a habit of neighbors to just come onto you property and divide your flowers and take for themselves. We even had a radio DJ talking about it on the morning show. So we have that to deal with along with mother nature. Yep this spring neighbors took cone plants and black eyed susan and ornamental grasses. Yep what was planted in our yard is now in a neighbors yard. What was theirs is theirs and what was ours is theirs.

6. susieandsidebite says:

Yo, Stuart, we are thankful for you and that all are safe!

The Mad Scots

So surprised to hear about your latest weather experience and so very glad you are all o.k. And Stuart, your reflections on life and what’s important is very profound. You are very wise for an 8-year old Scottie.

Have a wonderful weekend!

8. Anonymous says:

Yikes !!!! glad you are safe !!! Tornados like to ‘drop in’ where we live … their fury can spread for many miles. Way to bad about the lovely manicured garden. (sigh)
    May the week end be gentle to y’all..
    ♪ RoOo L&M

9. Oh My You are surely experiencing… lots of diffierent weather,, and non weather events.. that are terribly scary!!! Lil Mac and Angel say that they are soooooooo glad you and your family are all ok!! sorry bout your flowers.. xoxoxo’s Lil Mac and Angel & Mom, Sherry

Yes, get the complete set. The earthquake, the tornado and the hurricane. Call in the next five minutes and we’ll throw in a fire for free.

It appears someone got that for you and gave you a gift.

We are happy that you are safe along with your family. Did you wear your Thundershirt?

12. Whitley says:

Glad you’re ok!

13. Glad you are all ok! We have had our first tornado here already too. Have a great long week-end!
    Marty

14. Daisy says:

Jeez Louise – this sounds like a crazy story on the Weather Channel…and you lived it! Did that hail dent people’s cars? I bet your local news is filled with people talking about the damage. They should end the segment with your sunny outlook on life.
    oxox