Playing Opossum?

You know this blue pot! It's where I hang out!

You know this blue pot! It’s where I hang out!

Now listen, see that blue pot? You know I like to sit up there and watch things. Lately, I’ve been poking my head over the edge and waiting for critters. They run in between the boxwood bushes. And dig holes to hide under the steps.

Remember this little movie?

Yes. You do. There’s something in there.

Last night I found it. It was after dinner time. The peeps were cleaning up. I was raising Cain after something. Barking my head off. Just like I did in that little movie.

When it came time for the peep to walk me around the house before bed, We saw it.

Yes. We. Did.

It was dead. Lying on the ground amidst the new guinea impatiens They’d planted last spring. The ones in the movie. I’d dragged it over the plants and left it there. All splayed out. Not a muscle was moving. He was one ugly critter.

She got all excited, yelled at me to get away from it, and congratulated me and called the dad peep and He got all excited and congratulated me. And then, They said something like this:

“Yeah, I’ll bet it’s playing opossum.”

“No it isn’t. The poor thing is dead and Stuart did it. Good for you Stuart! Really, it’s awful, but that’s what he’s been bred to do. And I’m proud of him. I don’t want him to think he’s in trouble. Do you think it’s gonna make him sick?”

“Sick? Why?”

“Because opossums are nasty and carry diseases. He could be hurt.”

“But he’s had his shots. He’s fine. You’re nuts.”

“No I’m not! Our baby could be hurt. I’m gonna look for blood.”

See what I put up with? So, the peeps were glad I’d killed a opossum that’s been living under Our little garden shed space. Under the steps. Actually, I was kind of proud of myself. Sort of.

Until hours later. It. Was. Gone. No more opossum splayed out in the backyard.

Later, in the middle of the night, not a creature was stirring. We were nestled all snuggly in Our big bed sawing some zzzzz’s.

And We heard something gnawing. Sounded like it was in the room with Us. Chewing on some wood.

That darned opossum – or something – crawled into the house somehow and is probably stuck between the wooden floors. Up in the crawl spaces between the first floor and the second floor (that’s the second and the third floor for my friends across the pond.)

I live in a real spook house. With dead critters who are really alive. And beasts who live in crawl spaces and attics.

Oh my. Wonder what’ll happen tonight? The weather’s turning. It’s the time when mice start coming in from the outside.

Opossums, too. Rats, too. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!

Don’t worry peeps, I’ll protect you.

This entry was posted in Scotties, scotties and chipmunks, The Scottie Chronicles and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Playing Opossum?

1. christina says:

Oh Stuart! Almost the same thing happened to Jacque! We heard him barking like crazy in the back yard and ran back to find him with that darn opossum in his mouth and he was whipping that thing back and forth! I, like your mama, yelled at him to put it down and worried about whether he’d get sick or something! We were sure that guy was dead, but when we went to back a bit later to figure out how to dispose of the body…..that vermin was gone! Sneaky……

2. Braeden and Seth says:

We have those, too. But ours didn’t vanish like yours…it was right in the yard, by the patio, where I left him the night before. I even put pictures up on my blog! It’s was my very first deading! But Mom made Dad put it in a plastic bag and sent it away. I hope you catch that nasty creature! Be vigilant. It will happen if you patiently wait for it.
    Waggies,
    Seth

Wow, Stuart! We have opossum here & we came upon one last night as we reached the back door after our walk last night. He saw us and ran back into the Hosta to hide. But I knew he was there, I could smell the little bugger. My Peep was scared and held my leash tightly while I barked up a storm and pulled and pulled. I wanted to get him! Then my Peep got brave and quickly ran us both up the steps into the house. We were safe!

Some day, I’m gonna’ get him, Stuart, just like you did! Hooray for you!

Our neighborhood has things like raccoons, wild turkeys, rabbits, foxes, deer and I’m sure there are those nasty opossum (but have not seen any). Sometimes there are ducks or geese in the peeps swimming pool. You are so brave to duel with your critters. Andy caught a rabbit once. Elsa can catch birds as they take off because she is a rocket. Your peeps must be so proud to have such a guard in place to protect them.

5. Bella, Roxy & Macdui says:

What a sneaky ‘possum. If you deaded it, Stuart, it should stay dead. Not go rambling in the night to scare you! Maybe it’s a Halloween month thing.

If you had a dead opossum, you would know it. The smell is horrible. We had one die in the swimming pool and one die in our front yard. The turkey vultures couldn’t wait to get the one in the yard. It was Animal Planet there. GROSS!!!!!!

We understood every critter squeak and shriek you made. I think you have a critter ghost problem. It should go away after Halloween.

8. Lucy & Mac says:

Goodness!!!! Such excitement !!!! Opossums have MANY SHARP UGLY TEETH….and not so pretty tails. We don’t like ’em so much either….
    Hope ‘he’ isn’t in the house hiding……… =/

9. Marty the Manx says:

Oh no Stuart, you deaded it and it was truly playing possum? Hope you guys get rid of it for good.
    Marty and Mom

10. You are very brave Stuart and that was a scary post! Lovely impatiens.<3

11. finleywestie says:

It didn’t stay dead? What da woof?? All da rats we’s given da shake shake to wuz deader dan a doornail…

Hmmmm…. maybe da hoomans shoulda bagged it and tagged it ‘fore it zombified itself.

Dat’s it. It’s a zombie possum. Be afraid– very afraid. And vigilant- next time shake it harder– dem zombiez is hard to off.

12. that was the opossum-ghost, I’m sure… you can chase it away when you wear three magic treats in your tummy every night :o)

13. Tobias,Cherry, Shadow says:

Hey Stuart – You are cracking my Mom up!! – Only you could be so entertaining – we try – but we don’t get the guffaws you do! – Only hope that next time around you really “get the possum” – we don’t have any floating around in our yard – there are 3 of us and they pretty much stay away -squirrels yes, possums, no – but keep up the good work – and “get those rats” too!! Tobias, Cherry, & Shadow

OMP! One one hoof I’m like you go pal that is totally awesome and then on the other hoof I’m like WOW you are a super hero and then on another hoof I’m like ya’ll are a tough breed and then ont he fourth hoof I’m like bowing down to you. XOXO – Bacon

15. Pingback: Last Call for Lads and Lassies! | The Scottie Chronicles