You Gotta Read This

I love it when things go right. But, this pooch almost had an unhappy ending. You gotta read this story.

Remember folks: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ANIPALS – from end to end.

With summer walks, camping trips, and lots of outdoor time, remember to put your hands all over your furry loved ones to check for ticks, bites, skin problems and allergic reactions.

This reminds me of taking Stuart to the beach every Christmas.

me and dad

Strolling along under big ‘ole trees.

Did you know that ticks live in pine trees? One year he was covered with ticks after we walked through a neighborhood in the pines. (I didn’t remember that he turned around to look at me in this photo. Sigh. How I miss that boy.)

Covered. He was absolutely covered. We immediately found a vet, got out the tweezers, and put Front Line on him! (But be careful when using tweezers to remove ticks – be sure to get the head out. Don’t leave it behind.)

Friends, that Shetland Sheepdog in this story was lucky. Yes. He’s one lucky pooch. Others might not be. So, please. Check your anipals for ticks.

This entry was posted in The Scottie Chronicles and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to You Gotta Read This

1. I saw this on the news last night and you are right, he was soooo lucky!!!!!!! BTW we are having a give-away for special tick tweezers on May 27th…………stay tuned!!!!

2. WOW…definitely a lucky pooch. Mom checks me all over too – never found a tick but it just takes one so she’s careful with me…

Hugs, Sammy

3. The ticks are so bad in our area due to the more mild winter we had. This pup is soooooo lucky!
    Our mom is FOREVER checking us for yucky ticks!

We are lucky to live in an area where there are no ticks and no fleas. Now, if we could just get rid of politicians.

To think Ollie was a millimeter away from being euthanized! There are so many things pet owners have to do and to keep an eye out for the safety of their furriends, but it is time well spent and gives us peace of mind until the next outing.

We hadn’t heard about this story, so thank you for sharing it today.

Amazing….glad to know he is OK. I do not like to use the topical applications. Something about those chemicals every month on their skin….., but I did hear about a new product that is a chew form lasting for 12 weeks. I will give it a try this year. Ticks are bad news. Thanks for letting us know.

7. finleywestie says:

We don’t have ticks here in our nayborhood… dat wuz one skerry story!

8. we hate this ticks, there was a facebook friend who had one nearly IN his poop-shooter, what the vet could remove without damage. with all our bad weather here, we enjoy one good thing: NO ticks here, they dislike our bad weather…

We don’t have to many ticks in Nati City and we are glad because Lee hates ticks.

10. I had two in Febuary…FEBRUARY! We got to SpinDogtor who put me on NexGuard.

11. lauramarec says:

I did not go on the computer yesterday due to going into Los Angeles, (pretty far for us in Orange County), with my husband for a doctor’s appt., but I read your post from yesterday today, and I sure was glad that I did!! How wonderful that the tech found the bump! I never had heard of that tick paralysis!! Thank you so very much, Dear Stu’s Mum, for this VERY enlightening info!!
    Love and kisses from us to you,
    Riley-Puppy’s and Tessie-Girl’s Mum

12. lauramarec says:

P.S. Thank you for today’s lovely picture of Stu and his Dad-Peep! It is a wonderful and very touching picture of a very memorable moment!
    Love and licks,
    Riley-Puppy and Tessie-Girl

In Florida, prevention is a year round thing. Hopefully it really works.