OK. So, you’ve come to The Scottie Chronicles by hook or by crook and now you’re wondering all about my breed. You’ve landed at the right place my friend.
If you’d like to contribute to this page to help educate folks about Scotties, please send me an email: WinstontheScot@gmailDOTcom
Ten Facts You Should Know About Us Scotties:
- Not all Scotties are black. We come in black, brindle, wheaten, black brindle, silver brindle, brown brindle. Sometimes, even red brindle, too. But not white. (Westies are white. And their heads are groomed round, ours are not. Jus’ sayin.) Some wheatons, though, are really bright and may look almost white. Don’t call us white, though. Really. Don’t do it.
- Scotties are groomed to achieve our characteristic eyebrows, beard and skirt. We don’t grow this way naturally.
- As terriers, we dig. We’re earth dogs!
- Our ears don’t perk up until we’re a few weeks old.
- We’re usually a one or two peep dog, but some of us love families.
- We’re fiercely loyal. Fierce. VERY fierce.
- We’re stubborn. Sometimes to a fault, or so say my peeps, but I don’t think being stubborn is a bad thing. Not at all. Nope. Not me.
- We get our way. Always. Don’t forget that. If you know what’s good for you.
- We speak. Yes. Really. That’s what, “Aroo ROO!” means.
- We can be a bit aloof so don’t think ill of us if we ignore you. I ignore people all the time and nobody seems to care. At least, not that I know of. But, if I’m ignoring you, then how would I know? Huummm…….
- Some people confuse us with Schnauzers. Nope. We’re not Schnauzers. Only Schnauzers are Schnauzers and Scotties are Scotties. Got that? (Say it real fast. It’s fun.)
- We were bred to “go to ground” to rid the world of vermin like small animules that would make a mess of things.
- You can pick us up by our tails. But don’t try to do this A) if you don’t know us and B) if we’re little babies. We need our tails to get all situated before you pull us around by them. Actually, you’d never get to pull a Scottie around by the tail without having a little trouble. Don’t. Pull. Us. Around.
- Speaking of tails, when we “go to ground” we’re pulled out of holes by our tails. Cool, huh?
- We pronk. Yep. Just like gazelles. We leap in the air and land on all fours. Especially when we’re stalking critters in the grass.
- Fierce tail wagging accompanies pronking. I love to pronk.